November 1, 2022
“For 160 years, our company has been dedicated to providing the best in senior living to older adults in the Chicago area,” says Katie O’Brien, Director of Sales and Marketing at The Admiral at the Lake. “I’m happy to be part of this spectacular tradition, and even happier to be helping celebrate our building’s 10th anniversary.”
In July 2012, The Admiral at the Lake opened doors to its renovated location, an upgrade from the original Georgian-style building constructed in 1923. Leadership had realized many seniors wanted to continue living in the “center of it all,” in a city they know and love, in an upscale senior living community. Beginning with the 2010 partnership between The Admiral at the Lake and Kendal Corp., the new location emphasized its place to Chicagoans as a cutting-edge, resident-driven community.
Located on the shores of Lake Michigan in the desirable Uptown neighborhood, The Admiral has quickly become Chicago’s most elevated option for senior living. With beautiful residences, a carefree lifestyle, and proximity to everything that makes Chicago a world-class city, the Admiral is the destination for independent, urban seniors.
A Vibrant Urban Lifestyle
Uptown is a vibrant neighborhood with a history of being a destination for locals and tourists alike. Originally founded by German and Swedish farmers, Uptown was annexed into Chicago proper in 1857 and quickly became one of the city’s most populous residential centers. Businesses such as Loren Miller & Company (later renamed Goldblatt’s), Essanay Studios, Sheridan Plaza, Uptown Hotel, and others flocked to the area. Soon, Uptown was the place to go for arts, culture and entertainment.
Today, the “Loop’s little brother” is one of the most ethnically and economically diverse communities in Chicago. It’s an entertainment mecca filled with locally owned businesses, nonprofit organizations, engaging events, and so much more. No wonder it was chosen as the perfect place to build a community offering a dynamic, active, urban retirement lifestyle.
Chicago – and by extension, The Admiral – is one of the best places to live year-round. All four seasons are filled with exciting events and opportunities to enjoy life. The Admiral is located in the circle of four Chicago neighborhoods – Uptown, Andersonville, Wrigleyville/Lincoln Park, and Downtown.
Here are just a few of the activities and events that Admiral residents enjoy throughout the year:
- Dining with friends at Lady Gregory’s, Tweet Let’s Eat and Big Chicks, Bar Roma, Pearl’s Southern Comfort, and other favorite neighborhood restaurants (all within walking distance of our community)
- Cheering on the Cubs at Wrigley Field
- Strolling along one of our area’s many beautiful beaches
- Playing games and raising money for a good cause at the annual Casino Uptown
- Enjoying live performances downtown or at your favorite local venue
- Ice skating (and enjoying a hot beverage) at Millennium Park, or taking in the winter wonderland of a European-inspired Christmas market
The fun isn’t just in the greater city – inside our community’s walls, there’s always something going on. From lifelong learning and games and events to lecturers, performances and classes, there’s something for everyone.
A Maintenance-Free, Carefree Lifestyle
The Admiral provides an all-inclusive approach to your retirement lifestyle. This frees you from the tedious tasks of daily life and opens your social calendar.
- Enjoy exquisite dining with locally sourced, ever-changing menus that are perfectly balanced for taste and health.
- Choose your perfect home from 45 different, customizable floor plans. Enjoy peace of mind with 24-hour security, controlled access to the building, and secure parking for residents and guests.
- Stay social with clubs, lifelong learning classes, arts and cultural excursions, and intriguing residents from all walks of life.
- Keep healthy and active with our wellness center, which offers exercise classes, meditation rooms, high-tech gym equipment, an indoor swimming pool and health-related services.
- Explore your creativity in our creative arts studio, woodworking shop and library
The Admiral at the Lake goes beyond a fulfilling independent lifestyle to provide long-term care for today’s seniors in the city of Chicago. Our Life Plan Community offers Assisted Living, Memory Support and Skilled Nursing – all for one monthly fee.