Active. Festive. The best season in the city. That’s how one resident at The Admiral at the Lake describes summer in Chicago.
There’s no shortage of festivals, live music shows and other outdoor activities in Chicago during the warm, summer months. There’s something for everyone, since you can experience not only high-energy city life in Chicago but also nature and relaxation on the beach on Lake Michigan.
Barbara, a resident at The Admiral at the Lake, gives us her point of view on summer in Chicago and shares some great suggestions on where to enjoy outdoor dining and some of her other favorite summer activities.
Barbara was born in Washington D.C. and moved to Chicago with her family when she was 3 years old. She moved into the city of Chicago after college and has lived there most of her adult life.
She has been retired from the business world for 13 years and has been loving retirement life at The Admiral at the Lake for 5 years.
Summer Activities in Chicago
Downtown Chicago in the summer is very active, festive and full of life. There is something going on all hours of the day and well into the night.
Chicago is known for its world-renowned festivals and events. Some of the most popular events include live music and concerts, food festivals, sports events and art and theatre.
How can you find out more information on all the festivals and events going on around Chicago? Barbara suggested a few resources:
- ChooseChicago.com: ChooseChicago is a great resource to find everything you want to know about Chicago, especially information on festivals and events going on in and around the city. The website is organized with tabs on Things to Do, Events, & Shows, Restaurants and more.
- Where: Another great resource is a monthly magazine publication named Where. You can find this magazine in almost any public building in Chicago and it gives you a rundown of the festivals and events in Chicago that month. You can also view the publication on their website.
- Chicago Tribune: Every Friday, the Chicago Tribune newspaper publishes a list of events and festivals going on in Chicago for the upcoming week.
What’s great about Chicago is you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Not only do you get your fill of active city life, but also a chance to enjoy nature. Chicago is located next to Lake Michigan and gives Chicagoans a chance to escape to the beach or enjoy the peacefulness of being surrounded by trees and plants in the parks.
“People relish being outdoors,” Barbara said. “The lakefront is just beautiful this time of year. Lincoln Park stretches the length of the lakefront, and there is so much you can do outdoors that there’s no reason to stay indoors.”
Barbara enjoys being a tour guide in Millenium Park. Millennium Park includes 25 acres of beautiful landscape, architecture and an iconic collection of public art. One of the most famous sculptures in Chicago, Cloud Gate (“The Bean”), is located in Millennium Park.
“I’ve had season tickets for well over 20 years,” she said. “If the Cubs are doing well and it’s a really nice day, there’s no better place to be than Wrigley Field!”
Chicago Outdoor Dining
Outdoor dining is a summertime staple no matter where you are located. Chicago has a lot to offer in this department, as there are outdoor dining options everywhere. Barbara shared two of her favorite outdoor dining options:
- Piccolo Sogno: Piccolo Sogno, which means “little dream” in Italian, features a menu of fresh, seasonal, rustic Italian cuisine with an impressive all-Italian wine list. Enjoy a moonlit meal and wine on their large outdoor patio.
- Anteprima: Only a few blocks away from The Admiral is Anteprima. Another great Italian restaurant that also features a large patio for outdoor dining, Anteprima’s menu changes week to week to provide local and organic ingredients to their patrons.
Summer Fun at The Admiral
There’s a lot to do in Chicago but The Admiral at the Lake has some tempting summer offerings, as well. The Admiral is a lakefront community on the North Side and is conveniently located for residents to enjoy city life and nature whenever they’d like.
The Admiral at the Lake is a resident-driven community and all events and activities are planned by the residents.
“I have been a part of the Walking Group at The Admiral,” Barbara said. “Every Saturday morning, the group chooses a destination and walks for about an hour to an hour and a half.”
The Admiral also provides trips every week that residents can sign up for. These trips are planned by the residents and can go to various places such as museums, restaurants and events. The Admiral also provides transportation for the trips.
Enjoying Retirement at The Admiral at the Lake
In the last five years of living at The Admiral at the Lake, Barbara has found many things she loves about living here. Besides the endless options of activities and things to do at The Admiral and in the surrounding community, she loves that The Admiral is pet-friendly.
“My husband and I are animal lovers and have two cats and a dog. That was very important to us, that we moved into a pet-friendly community,” Barbara explained.
Barbara also enjoys the staff at The Admiral at the Lake. She felt that from Day One of living at The Admiral, everyone was very welcoming and caring.
“There are so many wonderful people who work here,” she said. “Many of the staff has become family! The people who take care of us are always smiling and greet us by name.”
Experience Chicago like you never have before at The Admiral at the Lake. We offer lakeside, luxury apartments, active wellness, lifelong learning opportunities, and more! Schedule a tour with us to see The Admiral for yourself or contact us at 773-433-1800.