August 4, 2022
We all let the little things get to us sometimes. It is important to know when to step aside and take some time for yourself to relax and destress. Here are a few of the stress-relief techniques we were able to uncover:
- Breathe! Harness the power of your own inner strength and take control of your body with breathing exercises.
- Pace yourself. Don’t try to do too much at one time.
- Set small realistic goals that you can manage.
- Know your limits.
- Asking for help gives another person an opportunity to do something good.
- Set aside time for yourself.
- Exercise regularly – cardio and resistance.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Try meditation and prayer. Quiet reflection is always good.
- Take a yoga class.
- Make sure you get enough sleep. Trouble sleeping?
- Talk it out. The best way to solve a problem is to get things out in the open.
- Keep a diary. It helps you express yourself and gives you a place to look when reflecting on the past.
- Maintain a deliberate positive outlook.
- Read – for distraction and for the sake of knowledge and inspiration
- Count your blessings. Even on our worst days, we have many things to be thankful for.
- Spend time with an animal friend. Petting a cat or playing with a dog can be immensely helpful for relieving stress.
- Get a change of scenery. Go take a walk by Lake Michigan or go into town. Sometimes the fresh air can help you see that things aren’t as bad as they seem.
- Have some fun and a few laughs. When was the last time you were laughing so hard your tummy hurt? Watching your favorite comedy or visiting a comedy club can sometimes be just the thing you need.
- Do a puzzle. Whether you prefer sudoku or a crossword puzzle, focusing your energy on a critical thinking task provides a great distraction from stressors.
- Escape through music. Playing, singing, or just listening to your favorite tunes will surely bring a smile to your face.
- Try aromatherapy. Inhaling certain scents has been shown to produce a calming effect.
- Switch to decaf. Sometimes the jolt we get from caffeine can put us over the edge all by itself.
- Consider acupuncture. For thousands of years, traditional Chinese medicine has used acupuncture to reduce stress and anxiety, as well as many other applications.
- Get a massage. It’s hard to think anything but good thoughts after you’ve had a good rubdown.
Live the Life You Choose at The Admiral at the Lake
In addition to following these stress-relieving tips, the residents at The Admiral at the Lake love to take in the outstanding landscape and scenery next to Lake Michigan and downtown Chicago. Residents find this Lifecare retirement community to be an exceptional setting for them to lead active, vibrant lives. If you would like to know more about this senior living community, please call (773) 433-1801 or contact us online.